Monday, February 17, 2014

Dealing with Email Life Today

Have you ever opened up your email program and discovered that you had over a thousand emails? I have. Not to mention, I have #Gmail, which means that to sort emails, I have to guess who they are from if there is no company listed. I tend to delete emails when I don't recognize the name. 


This started the wheels turning and I remembered when I was working for the Air Force as an Executive Assistant. I was there when we transitioned to computers from word processors. I was actually the first secretary to have a computer on my desk in our division, possible our command. After a few months, with more and more people coming on line, we realized that some changes had to be made. 

 It was a little easier there, because the office symbol was included with email from others on base. Then there were emails that involved specific tasks, so we learned to put a suspense date in the subject. When I went to the audit agency, we would enter the project number and subject for each audit. Everything became so organized, which we all know makes our lives better.

In the past 5 years since I retired, I have become increasing prolific on my computer. I do newsletters and blog posts. I also am a member of my church, the Women's Club, the Lions Club, the National Association of Parliamentarians, etc. Each one of these organizations and all the other things that I have joined on line come into my #Gmail box. Most of the time, I recognize the person't name, but sometimes I do not.  This means I might have to open it up. It does fall under the category of "UNKNOWN" like phone calls from telemarketers (which I never answer).

Then there are the sneaky marketers that squeeze under the SPAM controls with what looks like a personal email. I make sure their next email is entered under SPAM where I will never have to see it.

I am asking a favor for myself, but it may help you also, especially for those of us who get hundreds of emails a day. Could you please enter "Descriptions" for your email in the subject line? 

Examples: Church:
                FBC - Prayer Concerns
                FBC - Deacon​s
                FBC  - Staff
Women's Club:
                GFWC - National
                NNWC - Social 
Lions Clubs:
                NNlions - Projects
                Lions District 
                Lions International      and, etc., etc.. . . . 

I would be able to organize my email easier, and so would you, not to mention, send an answer quicker. You could even "flag" the email if it is time-sensitive.

I have been known to delete emails that I didn't recognize who it was from because of SPAM. Viruses, etc.

Thanks for your consideration, 
Barbara Duke
Professional Encourager
#BoomerMom


No comments:

Post a Comment