Friday, November 14, 2014

Mama Bates' Beef Stew

Mama's Leftover Pot Roast Magically turns into:

BEEF STEW

Most of the time, there was leftover Pot Roast (See previous posting), unless we had company. Mama would put more onions and garlic in a skillet, caramelize, and then add the pot roast. 

If you need more potatoes and carrots, cut some more up and boil in a separate pot until done. Put in one or two cans of diced tomatoes. If you want spicy, get the spicy diced tomatoes, or add salsa. It just depends on your taste. Do not add new potatoes and carrots to the stew until they are done, otherwise the beef will be so overcooked, it won't have much taste. 

This is not part of Mama's Beef Stew, but my own additions. It works even better if there is not much beef left. Add vegetables that you like. I have added squash, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and greens of almost any kind. 

Add enough liquid to make a full pot. Note: add hot liquid so that you don't bring down the temperature of the stew. I usually add beef bouillon to taste, coffee to taste. Don't forget the salt and pepper and some soy sauce and Worcestershire Sauce. I taste a lot so that I get it just like I want it. 

Then I take out 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix and make according to directions. This works for us in a hurry. Make any cornbread that you like. Or you may prefer crackers.

I like chopped onions on top with grated Cheddar Cheese. I hope you can follow this. I have never really cooked from a cookbook. Sometimes I just like to read them. Then I go make something similar, but something that fits our diet and taste. 

I watch cooking shows and make similar recipes, but add ingredients to my own taste. Ray loves my cooking and everyone says I am a terrific cook, so I guess I must do something right. Also, if you don't have anymore potatoes, but if you happen to have some instant potatoes, fix them and serve the  beef stew over them.









No comments:

Post a Comment