Monday, November 3, 2014

Nana Learns to Cook in the 1950's

NANA and  the Twins at Christmas 2010
We make cookies every year.

When I was just a little girl, about 9 years old I guess, I decided that I wanted to make some vanilla wafers. We were in England at the time living on a military base. The grocery or commissary didn't have any Nabisco Nilla Wafers


My Mother wanted to make Banana Pudding and there was just no way that you could make Banana Pudding without Nilla Wafers.


I decided to look in my Mother's Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. I looked up the recipe for Vanilla Wafers and it looked so easy. I got all of the stuff out of the cabinet and a big bowl that went with the mixer. When I had everything in the bowl, I turned on the great big mixer  my mom had. 
Stand Mixers




The oven was hot, so all I had to do was put the dough on the cookie sheets and bake. I had watched my Mother enough to know how to do this. I started to spoon out the cookies on to the cookie sheet. It was so runny, but being a child, I thought they would come together magically in the oven and I could surprise my mother when she got home from her woman's club meeting. Since we lived in a controlled environment on base, we didn't really need a babysitter because there were neighbors next door. 

Well, I watched the clock and at the proper time, I opened the oven door, and there was a big sheet of very thin cookies. I had to cut them with a knife, but ended up throwing them away and cleaning up the kitchen. I didn't want my Mother to know what I had done. I then sat down with the cookbook. I went over the recipe line by line, then the light came on and I realized that instead of 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of flour, I only used 2 tablespoons of flour. 

Needless to say, I never told my Mother about this, until now. She is 84 and wouldn't mind even if she reads it now. She always encouraged me to think out of the box.



Original Nilla Banana Pudding
This recipe courtesy of Back of the Box Recipes.
www.backofthebox.com Home Page

This recipe created by Nabisco.Ready in: 60 mins.
Layers of Nilla wafers, creamy pudding and fresh banana slices are the stars of this American classic.

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
45 NILLA Wafers, divided
5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
Additional NILLA Wafers and banana slices, for garnish

1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

2. Reserve 10 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover with a layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.

4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with additional wafers and banana slices just before serving.

Makes 8 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION per serving
287 calories, 6 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat,
2 g saturated fat, 117 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium,
1 g dietary fiber.

Preparation Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 15 mins.
Cooling Time: 15 mins.
Total Time: 60 mins.

_________________________________________________________

I am not receiving any products or re-numeration for this blog post and apologize for reprinting the recipe. It has been written in my Mother's cookbook over 50 years. (and my Mama Deason's too).


GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME!

ALL THE TIME, GOD IS GOOD!


No comments:

Post a Comment